This three-day course will develop applied skills in cost-effectiveness analysis, each subsequent day will build on knowledge from the previous day.
A note on Microsoft Excel – your course includes exercises to use the skills that you will be learning. Being familiar with Excel and having some basic skills will make the course more fun, and more useful, for you. Feedback from previous courses has led us to encourage everyone attending this course to brush up on their Excel skills.
The main things you should be able to understand are:
- Writing basic formulae
- Cell references – the difference between relative and absolute cell references
- Creating charts (specifically scatter plots) and adding to charts
Excel training menu https://bit.ly/39jWFEf Participants who haven’t used Excel much before liked the chart and formulas & functions sections – click on the applicable icons on that menu page.
We also recommend this link https://bit.ly/2Orm7j5 Participants can learn the difference between relative and absolute cell references, which will be useful when entering some of the formulas.
Course prerequisites: You must have previously completed the Day 1 course to attend Day 2, and Days 1 and 2 courses to attend Day 3. We expect attendees to have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
Day 1: A beginner’s guide to cost-effectiveness analysis
- What is cost-effectiveness analysis and why do we do it
- How to measure costs
- How to measure health benefits
- Interpreting the results and a review of a published paper
Day 2: Building cost-effectiveness models
- Decision trees
- State-based models
- Choosing the data to include in models
Day 3: Evaluating cost-effectiveness models
- Making decisions and uncertainty
- Including uncertainty and exploring its impact on decision-making
- Presenting the results
- Postponing a decision and value of information analysis
- An excellent course. Great pace and mix of theory and practice.
- Extremely interesting and beneficial. The materials were useful and the presentation of the information was clear and helpful. Having practical exercises throughout helped consolidate my understanding.
- Fantastic workshop. Not often I walk away having learnt something and excited about what it could add to my research and teaching. Thank you.
- Great class, good examples and analogies well worth my time! Wouldn’t change a thing.
- Excellent course experience!
Days 2 & 3
- Really well organised and great practical examples.
- Really great course – very engaging intro to cost effectiveness for someone who came in with no prior knowledge (before day 1).
- Some very useful thought process and excel skills to take to a clinical environment.